2a. Obtain Pre-Approval*
If pre-approval is required for your jurisdiction, complete your Council Record and transmit
it to the licensure board where you plan to become licensed. Otherwise, skip to Step 3.
3. Register for the exam.
Registration is currently closed.
Registration for the December 2020 administration will open in early October.
4. Schedule Your Test Appointment.
Schedule your test appointment with Pearson VUE. If you do not receive an email with instructions on how to do this, contact CLARB
Please view the short "Appointment Scheduling 101
" video to guide you through the process.
6. Check your results.
Results will be posted on the website six weeks following the last day of the testing administration.
Exam Registration Tips
- Register for the exam and schedule your test appointment as early as possible to ensure the best chance of selecting the test center and test date that are more convenient for you.
- Contact the licensure board where you plan to seek initial licensure to confirm what the requirements are for becoming licensed. Licensure requirements may be different than exam requirements.
Already Registered for the Upcoming Exam Administration and Need to Make Changes or Special Accommodations?
- Adding an Exam Section
- Cancelling an Exam Section
- Requesting Special Accommodations
Adding an Exam Section after You Have Registered for the Upcoming Exam Administration
- Log into the website and click "My Profile" in the upper right-hand corner.
- Scroll to "My Event Registrations."
- On the "Edit Sections" page, check the sections you wish to add to your registration.
- Submit payment for the section(s) you just added.
Cancelling an Exam Section
Should you need to cancel one or more exam sections, you must cancel by the cancellation deadline
in order to receive a refund.
Please note: exams cannot be rescheduled or postponed to future administrations.
When an exam registration is cancelled by the cancellation deadline, the refund amount will be issued to the original form of payment less a 5% cancellation fee. Candidates who do not cancel with both
Pearson VUE and CLARB may be ineligible for a refund. Please note: the cost to start a Council Record is non-refundable.
Follow these steps to cancel an exam section:
- Cancel your appointment(s) with Pearson VUE via the Pearson VUE website.
- Log into the CLARB website and click "My Profile" in the upper right-hand corner.
- Scroll to "View Exam Registration."
- Click the "Cancel Exam" link next to the section you wish to cancel. Follow the system prompts to complete your cancellation.
- You will receive an email confirmation of your cancellation.
"Good Cause" Policy
CLARB's "Good Cause" policy may apply if you are unable to attend the exam administration due to severe physical or emotional hardship. Contact CLARB
to find out what documentation you need to submit to have your case reviewed in accordance with this policy. Candidates who are approved under this policy will receive a refund to the original form of payment less a 5% cancellation fee. All requests for Good Cause must be received within 60 days of the exam administration.
Requesting Special Accommodations
When registering for the exam:
Should you require special accommodations for a disability, please contact CLARB
to apply for approval to test under the Special Accommodations Policy. Applications for approval for testing accommodations must be received by the exam registration deadline.
When scheduling a test appointment:
Candidates who test with special accommodations cannot schedule a test appointment with Pearson VUE via the internet. Once you have registered for the exam, please contact CLARB
to obtain information on how to schedule your appointment with Pearson VUE.
You May Also Like
Downloading the exam orientation guide
* February 2017 update includes exam blueprint with corrected number of questions in each section to reflect number of pre-test items. Preparing for the exam
. Updated February 2017